The Cloak...

The weight of the years feels heavier now; like wearing a cloak made of memories bound by the threads of time - I wish to pull one loose and unravel those pieces that still chafe against my soul. Is there still time to stitch silken patches to mend what still feels the chill?

I reach for one loose strand—but which one to grasp?

A surface thread, pale and almost free,
a careful test that might fray only the outer weave?
Or the deep one, dark and knotted near the heart,
the one that holds the shape of everything that came before?  

If I pull too hard, will the whole cloak fall,
leaving me bare to the years I thought I had outgrown?
Am I ready for the cold that might rush in,
or for the sudden lightness that could follow?

My fingers hover, trembling between caution and courage.

I ask myself,
is it better to yet gather more about me as a buffer—
another layer of careful silence,
another fold of the years already lived—
and not chance unwelcome exposure to the elements?

The wind has teeth.
The night remembers every open seam.
Perhaps the wiser hand gathers rather than pulls,
thickens the cloak against the chill
instead of testing what lies beneath.

Yet even as I draw the fabric closer,
I feel the old threads still pressing,
still asking to be known.

Why? I ask myself—
my days grow ever shorter—
why now?

Let what was be.
Leave the knots undisturbed,
the chafe familiar, almost kind.

Yet, don’t I wish to meet my end wearing fine silk instead of a garment knotted and worn? 
To lie down in something soft that I chose,
not merely endured?

The clock is quieter than it once was,
and still the hand hesitates
between the comfort of the old weight
and the longing for a gentler drape.

It has always been there for us to choose—
to reach for the new
or to keep the familiar.

When youth had its hold, the allure of newness always held the promise of relief.

But now I understand:
I can wear new silk as an undergarment
to soften the chafe,
while the old remains my armour,
my testament to a life lived.

The rough outer weave still tells the weather I survived.
The silk beneath whispers that I am allowed
a little mercy against my own history.
Neither discarded.
Both worn at once.

So I look at the loose threads
intertwined with those woven tight
and choose to leave them be—
reminders, landmarks, beacons,
all in their proper place.  

They no longer demand to be pulled.
They simply mark the roads I walked,
the storms I stood inside,
the places where the fabric held
even when it ached.

The cloak rests differently now:
heavy still, yet balanced,
silk against the skin,
old weave against the world.

I wear what I have lived
and what I have chosen to soften,
and for this hour,
that is enough.

~ yours in ink ML - walking the threads with Grok, an AI built by xAI

Comments